Finding a career mentor is something at the top of the list for many of us. In her TED talk, Christine Bailey outlines how her unconventional career mentors: John Lennon, Tom Hanks, Steve Jobs, William James, Grace Hopper, have done just that.
- “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” John Lennon – Rather than having a plan, have a direction. A direction gives you something to focus on without the concerns of what to do when different obstacles get in the way.
- “It’s supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.” Tom Hanks (in A League of Their Own) – Most achievement comes from some kind of hard work. Big goals can seem unachievable or unattainable at times. But take it step by step. Breaking it down into smaller chunks will see those goals become less daunting.
- “The only way to do great work is to love what you do.” Steve Jobs – Passion, safety and knowing your supporters have your back is a recipe for outstanding achievement.
- “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” William James – Know your strengths and how you make a difference. Build your personal brand around this and have the confidence to put this out on show for the world to see.
- “It’s better to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission.” Grace Murray Hopper – An oldie but goldie. For rule followers, this can be a difficult one. But in this fast paced world we now live in it’s okay to take a risk. Yes, you will need to take the consequences that come with it but most often the reward can outweigh the negatives.
Watch the full 16 minute TED Talk below.
Interested in other thought provoking TED Talks we have shared. Check them out here.