Introduction To Good Samaritan College, Hinchinbrook
Established in 1999, Good Samaritan Catholic College is a Year 7-12 comprehensive co-educational Catholic school located in South Western Sydney.
The Good Samaritan Catholic College community is committed to quality education. Our challenge is to make a positive contribution to the transformation of society by encouraging independent and creative thinkers to search out new ways of dealing with our rapidly changing world.
Good Samaritan Catholic College now has approximately 1,300 students and over 110 staff. The college population is made up of many different backgrounds, with 75% of the population being from language backgrounds other than English.
St Joseph Trades Skills Centre opened in 2016 and offers pathways to a cluster of seven local Catholic secondary colleges for students undertaking vocational training. St Joseph’s has approx. 300 students, adjoins and is a part of Good Samaritan Catholic College.
Sydney Catholic Schools
Sydney Catholic Schools (SCS) is responsible for the leadership, efficient operation and management of a System of schools which educate around 71,000 students in 152 parish primary and regional secondary schools in the Archdiocese of Sydney.
Good Samaritan Catholic College is a part of this system of schools administered by SCS. SCS, through its Central and three Regional Offices, provides to schools a wide range of services and resources, including through a Financial Services Unit, based in Leichhardt, which operates financial, accounting and payroll functions.
Additional information can be viewed by visiting the Good Samaritan Catholic College website located at http://www.goodsamaritan.nsw.edu.au/
Position Title: Business Manager
Reports to: Principal
The Business Manager supports the Principal in exercising effective leadership of Good Samaritan Catholic College. He / she is immediately responsible for the sound financial and resource management of the school, overseeing the development and maintenance of the college plant and the provision of materials, equipment and services for the operation of the College.
The Business Manager advises the College Executive and the Building and Finance Committee and is directly accountable to the Principal.
- Develop an understanding of Sydney Catholic Schools (SCS) systems, policies and processes
- Involvement in a major capital works program which is in the very early stages
The role reports to the Principal and is responsible for two office staff
The role also requires ongoing liaison with:
- External contractors, including Cleaning and Maintenance
- College Finance Committee
- College Building Committee
- SCS Finance and Accounting Staff
- Leadership of Good Samaritan Catholic College and St Joseph Trades Skills Centre.
Reason for Vacancy
After 12 years, the current Business Manager is transferring to another college which is also a part of SCS.
Good Samaritan Catholic College is located at 401 Hoxton Park Road Hinchinbrook, NSW.
Conditions of Employment
- The salary will be in alignment with the scale applicable for Business Managers in the Archdiocese of Sydney which for this College is $113,141 plus superannuation.
- The salary is adjusted annually by percentage increases as outlined in the appropriate Award
Type of Employment:
- Full-time, permanent position.
- 4 weeks on completion of each 12 months of service, with a holiday loading of 17 ½%. The time when leave is taken will be negotiated with the Principal.
- The nature of the role requires a person on-site 5 days each week
- In accordance with Child Protection Legislation, the successful applicant will require a ‘Working With Children’ clearance prior to employment. Please visit www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au to obtain further information on this requirement
- Appraisals occur annually
- The usual 3-month probationary period applies
We invite expressions of interest from people who match the following:
- capacity to align with the values of a large Catholic employer
- a career in finance/accounting, with experience in a substantial entity
- the desire to take ownership of a diverse portfolio of responsibilities, which extends well beyond financial functions
- highly developed interpersonal, listening and communication skills with an understanding of how to operate in a service role
- a willingness to engage broadly in the life of the College.
- relevant professional qualifications
These roles exist in schools to allow the Principal to delegate non-teaching & learning activities to a trusted team member. As such it is critical a person has a strong service and support attitude combined with a preparedness to respond to the wide range of needs of the College community. Despite this role having responsibility for property and facilities management, such experience is not essential providing applicants have the (a) desire; and (b) capacity to learn and take ownership of a diverse portfolio of responsibilities.
Are You Interested in this Opportunity?
If you are interested in this role, then simply complete the ‘Express Your Interest’ panel on this page; or email us at email@example.com stating your interest and nominating ref number TS1351. Whichever you choose, please provide a brief resume and contact telephone number.
At this stage we do NOT ask for you to labour over selection criteria or any application document – just complete the panel on this page or send a one-line email to Trak Search to indicate your interest in ‘Business Manager TS1351’ and providing your brief resume and contact telephone number.
Any questions can be directed to either (a) our Director John Chesher by telephone (0417 068 220) or (b) email our office via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The timeline and details for this project are outlined below. All emails and applications are acknowledged within 48 hours.
The Selection Process
Key dates are as follows:
|Date of project launch/advertising||Fri 12th May|
|Trak Search discussions commence||From Mon 15th May|
|Latest anticipated date for applications||Friday 26th May|
|Initial reference checks by Trak Search||From week commencing Mon 29th May|
|Review meeting & short listing||Week commencing Mon 5th June|
|Anticipated date for client interviews||Week of Monday 12th June|
|Final references; academic documents obtained||Following client interviews|
|Follow up meeting/discussion||Likely within 7 days of client interviews|
Trak Search has been instructed to provide a process that is welcoming for people interested in this role. Significant aspects include:
- Throughout the process, Trak Search is available for confidential discussions and to provide information to allow you to explore this opportunity and determine your interest in the role.
- A range of additional information will be provided to you as we progress through this process.
- At the outset you will not be required to: complete an application form; provide a lengthy, comprehensive document to address the selection criteria; or any referee details. However, you will be invited to supply us with additional information (verbally and in writing) as you progress through the process.
- A late application could be accepted, providing it does not adversely impact other applications or the schedule. Please be aware however that any application received after close of business on the date noted above is more likely to be returned to you.
- At the appropriate time (refer above) we will seek written consent to speak with referees – listing referees on your resume does not signify consent.
- We expect to contact one work related referee prior to short listing, with additional references completed later in the process. You should always expect that prior to reaching the final stage of the project, we will ask to speak with at least one person who has: directly managed you; recently; and for a significant time period.
- All information provided to Trak Search will be made available prior to short listing, in confidence, to the Principal or nominee unless you instruct Trak Search otherwise.
You are also encouraged to view our Collection Statement which provides details on the manner in which we collect and use information obtained from you during your engagement with Trak Search.