The Diocese of Armidale is led by Bishop Michael Kennedy and covers a significant portion of North Western NSW. It is the second largest diocese by area in New South Wales
The Catholic Schools Office (CSO) in the Diocese of Armidale administers 24 Catholic schools on behalf of the Bishop of Armidale. The Director, Mr Chris Smyth, is directly responsible to the Bishop through the Bishop’s Commission for Catholic Schools.
The CSO has a staff of approx. 50 and provides a range of support to these 24 schools, which comprise 19 primary, two central and three secondary schools. This support includes educational, financial, administrative, ICT, industrial and employment services.
Catholic education in the Diocese of Armidale is going through a period of significant change. This is articulated in their Strategic Improvement Plan 2016 – 2018. The CSO is more sharply focussing their efforts to support schools in their planning for school improvement.
The position of Schools Consultant sits within the Armidale Catholic Schools Office, Leadership and Management Team. This position is also a member of the CSO Leadership Team.
Armidale is a city in the Northern Tablelands of NSW. With an estimated population of 25,000 it is the administrative centre for the Northern Tablelands region. It is approximately halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and two hours from the coast.
Armidale has a unique blend of culture, state of the art technology, educational diversity and natural beauty. It enjoys a warm summer, tones of amber during the autumn, a crisp winter and an exhilarating spring.
Additional information, including strategic planning documents, can be viewed by visiting the CSO website located at http://arm.catholic.edu.au
Position Title: School Consultant
Reports to: Deputy Director
Build capacity of Catholic school principals and leadership teams to enable effective and efficient leadership and management of a Catholic Professional Learning Community.
- Ensuring that schools have strategic directions, plans and processes in place, including:
- Annual Improvement Planning by each school;
- Supporting schools in the implementation of system initiatives.
- Leadership Team Development.
- Monitor Principal wellbeing.
- Ensure governance and system accountabilities are met.
A full Role Statement will be provided as we move through the project schedule.
This role reports to the Deputy Director. The position works closely with another School Consultant and an Administration Officer. It is responsible for Principals and a Leadership Support Officer.
The School Consultant takes responsibility for a mix of primary, central and secondary schools.
It is anticipated the successful applicant will be able to commence in this role for the start of the 2019 school year.
Location and Travel
The Catholic Schools Office is situated in Barney St, Armidale. Given the nature of the role, there will be considerable time spent travelling to and within schools.
Conditions of Employment
- A salary and superannuation consistent with CSO salary scales (Current salary $170,823 gross per annum p.a. + 9.5% super).
- A comprehensively insured vehicle is available as part of the role and will be supplied in accordance with CSO guidelines
- Salary packaging is available.
- Payment of reasonable relocation expenses.
- A mobile phone and laptop are provided.
- The CSO provides additional, ex gratia leave during the Christmas period. There is eight days compensatory leave provided for employees required to travel and as a consequence are regularly away from home. This leave must be taken within the year it falls due.
- Further study and professional development opportunities.
- The successful candidate will be subject to mandatory child protection screening. This includes a working with children check and a National Criminal History Record Check.
- The successful candidate will hold a current driver’s license. You must also be willing and able to undertake the travel to fulfil the requirements of this position.
- The initial contract period is for 5 years (with a 6 month probation period.)
It is anticipated that the successful applicant will:
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to the vision and mission of Catholic Education;
- Have proven senior leadership experience in Catholic Education. This will include an ability to:
- build leadership and school improvement capacity in schools;
- dialogue with Principals to support and challenge the development and implementation of school annual improvement plans and strategies;
- actively support Principals to lead teaching and learning in their schools that is student centred;
- drive improvement and innovation in schools in line with contemporary research;
- share their experience in leading strategic initiatives in teaching and learning (K-12) to enhance student experience and learning outcomes.
- Demonstrate a desire for continuing professional development and ongoing learning; combined with appropriate post-graduate qualifications.
Are You Interested in this Opportunity?
If you are interested in this role, then simply complete the ‘Express Your Interest’ panel on this page; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest and nominating ref number TS1388. Whichever you choose, please provide a brief resume and contact telephone number.
At this stage we do NOT ask you to address the selection criteria or provide an application document – just complete the panel on this page or send a brief email to Trak Search to indicate your interest in ‘Armidale School Consultant TS1388′; and providing your brief resume and contact telephone number.
If you are NOT interested in this role but would like to be advised of future leadership positions, click here to register for our weekly job alert.
Any questions can be directed to either (a) our Director John Chesher by telephone (0417 068 220) or (b) email our office via email@example.com. The timeline and details for this project are outlined below. All emails and applications are acknowledged within 48 hours.
The Selection Process
Key dates are as follows:
|Date of project re-launch
|Monday 6th August
|Latest anticipated date for applications
|Monday 27th August
|Review meeting & short listing
|Week commencing Mon 3rd Sept.
|Anticipated date for client interviews
|Week of Monday 10th Sept.
|Final references; academic documents obtained
|Following client interviews
|Follow up meeting/discussion
|Likely within 7 days of client interviews
Trak Search has been instructed to provide a process that is welcoming for people interested in this role. Significant aspects include:
- Throughout the process, Trak Search is available for confidential discussions and to provide information to allow you to explore this opportunity and determine your interest in the role.
- A range of additional information will be provided to you as we progress through this process.
- At the outset you will not be required to: complete an application form; provide a lengthy document to address the selection criteria; or supply referee details. However, you will be invited to supply us with additional information (verbally and in writing) as you progress through the process.
- A late application could be accepted, providing it does not adversely impact other applications or the schedule. Please be aware however that any application received after close of business on the date noted above is more likely to be returned to you
- At the appropriate time we will seek written consent to speak with referees – listing referees on your resume does not signify consent to do so.
- We expect to contact one work-related referee and a Priest referee prior to shortlisting, with additional references completed later in the process. You should always expect that before reaching the final stage of the project, we will ask to speak with at least one person who has: directly managed you; recently; and for a significant period of time.
- All information provided to Trak Search will be made available prior to shortlisting, in confidence, to the Director or nominee unless you instruct Trak Search otherwise.
You are also encouraged to view our Collection Statement which provides details on the manner in which we collect and use information obtained from you during your engagement with Trak Search.