A leading Catholic Independent girls’ school, Our Lady of Mercy College Parramatta has always been at the forefront in girls’ education and continues to build a culture of young women striving for excellence.
OLMC Parramatta is a Christ-centred learning community established by the Sisters of Mercy in 1889, committed to excellence in education, respect for the dignity of each individual and the development of a strong sense of justice and social responsibility.
For 115 years, the leadership of OLMC was in the hands of seven successive Sisters of Mercy. This enabled the development of the strong Mercy heritage, traditions and values that remain such a vibrant part of the school mission and community today.
In 2002 OLMC was incorporated and its governance entrusted to a Board of Directors, chaired firstly by Ms Geraldine Starr and now by Ms Kerrie Walshaw. Mrs Kitty Guerin was appointed as the first lay Principal in 2004, succeeded by Mr Stephen Walsh in 2014.
Their vision today is to provide a contemporary Mercy Education that empowers young women to lead with courage and act justly, making a difference in whatever sphere of life they choose to move, in the spirit of the Venerable Catherine McAuley, the foundress of the Sisters of Mercy.
With total staff of 135 and an annual budget in the range of $25m, OLMC’s current enrolment is approx. 1,050 girls across Years 7-12.
A range of additional information can be viewed by visiting the OLMC website located at
Position Title: Director of Business Services
Reports to: Principal, Stephen Walsh
As a member of the College Executive, the Director of Business Services is appointed by the Trustees of the Sisters of Mercy Parramatta, through the College Board, and is accountable to the Principal and to the Board.
The position supports the Principal in managing the overall business administration of the College, including being responsible and accountable for:
- finances and business operations;
- coordination and implementation of the Master planning process;
- coordination of Risk Management processes and evaluation;
- coordinator of business continuity plan;
- technology/IT infrastructure;
- leadership management of non-teaching staff as required by the Principal;
- maintenance and physical resources.
As Company Secretary, the Director of Business Services ensures compliance with all relevant legislation.
A position description will be provided later in the recruitment process.
Initial Priorities Impacting this Role
- Finalisation of the current Master Plan approx. $30m over 8 years
- Staging the new building program from 2020
- Ongoing Governance and organisational risk management
- Business continuity plans
- High enrolment demand
- Development Partnership in greater western Sydney
- Trustees of the Sisters of Mercy Parramatta
- The OLMC College Board
- The College Leadership Team is comprised of: Principal; Deputy Principal; Director of Business Services; Director of Mission; Director of Pastoral Care; Director of Teaching and Learning; Director of Professional Standards; Director of Operations and Director of Learning Technologies and Innovation.
- The Director of Business Services leads a team of over 15 staff comprising four managers: IT Manager; Payroll Manager; Finance Manager; and Property & Maintenance Manager. The team is highly competent and professional.
A College organisation chart will be provided later in the recruitment process.
Ideally, the successful person could commence this role no later than late July/early August.
Our Lady of Mercy College is located on Victoria Road North Parramatta.
Other Relevant Information
- The financial year is 1st January to 31stDecember
- The annual revenue budget is in the vicinity of $25m
- External auditor is Nexia
- The accounting software is Synergetic and payroll is run in-house.
- As Company Secretary, this role is involved with Board meetings. The Director of Business Services is also a member of the three committees: Finance Committee; Building Committee; and Audit and Risk Committee.
Conditions of Employment
- Remuneration will be negotiated with the successful applicant, with salary packaging arrangements available.
- Four weeks annual leave plus 2 weeks additional leave (that can be accrued)
- Fully maintained motor vehicle on salary sacrifice basis (40% of GST-exclusive capital cost).
- There is an annual performance appraisal process and remuneration is adjusted annually in line with increases in teachers’ agreement.
- The initial appointment is for 5 years and renewed subject to satisfactory performance.
- Professional development opportunities are provided.
- General benefits including provision of range of resources and payment of relevant association membership fees.
- Office hours are 8am- 4pm, Monday to Friday; 46 weeks per year. Given the seniority of this role, the expectation is the Director of Business Services will work the hours required of the position, which includes some out-of-hours meetings.
- Parking can be made available.
- Before appointment, an applicant must complete a “Working With Children Check” through the Office of the Children’s Guardian – please visit https://www.kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au/child-safe-organisations/working-with-children-check.
We invite expressions of interest from people who align with the following:
- A career in finance and accounting with a minimum 5 years as a senior level finance and accounting practitioner;
- Willingness and capacity to learn and grow into the broader aspects of this diverse role;
- Experience in leading a team;
- A hands-on style, with patience and listening skills, combined with a preparedness to support others, including people from non-financial backgrounds;
- A preference to be involved with people, being accessible and having highly developed interpersonal and communication skills;
- CA or CPA and ongoing professional formation and training.
Are You Interested in this Opportunity?
If you are interested in this role, then simply complete the ‘Express Your Interest’ panel on this page; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest and nominating ref number TS1410. Whichever you choose, please provide a brief resume and contact telephone number.
Any questions can be directed to either (a) our Director John Chesher by telephone (0417 068 220) or (b) email our office via email@example.com.
The timeline and details for this project are outlined below. All emails and applications are acknowledged within 48 hours.
The Selection Process
Key dates are as follows:
|Date of project launch/advertising||Friday 31st May|
|Latest anticipated date for applications||Monday 17th June|
|Review meeting & short listing||Week commencing Mon 1st July|
|Anticipated date for client interviews||Week of Monday 8th July|
|Final references; academic documents obtained||Following client interviews|
|Follow up meeting/discussion||Likely within 7 days of client interviews|
Trak Search has been instructed to provide a process that is welcoming for people interested in this role. Significant aspects include:
- Throughout the process, Trak Search is available for confidential discussions and to provide information to allow you to explore this opportunity and determine your interest in the role.
- A range of additional information will be provided to you as we progress through this process.
- At the outset you will not be required to: complete an application form; provide a lengthy document to address the selection criteria; or supply referee details. However, you will be invited to supply us with additional information (verbally and in writing) as you progress through the process.
- A late application could be accepted, providing it does not adversely impact other applications or the schedule. Please be aware however that any application received after close of business on the date noted above is more likely to be returned to you.
- At the appropriate time we will seek written consent to speak with referees – listing referees on your resume does not signify consent to do so.
- We expect to contact one work-related referee prior to shortlisting, with additional references completed later in the process. You should always expect that before reaching the final stage of the project, we will ask to speak with at least one person who has: directly managed you; recently; and for a significant period of time.
- All information provided to Trak Search will be made available prior to shortlisting, in confidence, to the College Principal or nominee unless you instruct Trak Search otherwise.
You are also encouraged to view our Collection Statement which provides details on the manner in which we collect and use information obtained from you during your engagement with Trak Search.