The Diocese of Rockhampton came into being in 1881 and is one of five dioceses in Queensland. The Diocese covers some 414,385 square kilometres and has a total population of nearly 400,000 of which approx. 25% are Catholic. There are 81 mass centres throughout the 31 Parishes within the Diocese.
The Most Reverend Michael McCarthy is the 10th Bishop of Rockhampton.
Introduction to CentacareCQ
CentacareCQ is the longest running, local social services organisation in Central Queensland, having provided professional community services for over 40 years. With more than 200 staff and dedicated volunteers, it is a large, vibrant and well-respected community organisation.
CentacareCQ works to encourage and strengthen individuals, couples and families through a broad range of services, which include aged care and disability support; counselling; and family and community support and education. They serve all people, without regard to religion, race, age, economic circumstance or ethnic background.
Their reach extends from Mackay in the north, to Bundaberg in the south, and out to the Central West. They have seven office sites across the region, however staff also travel far and wide to deliver services, offering outreach programs in many small townships.
CentacareCQ also operate the Family Relationship Centres (FRC) in Mackay and Rockhampton. The FRC provides information and referrals to families at any stage of their relationships, and offers dispute resolution and property mediation to separated or separating families.
Additional information, including the CentacareCQ vision, mission, values and range of services, can be viewed on their website located at: https://www.centacarecq.com/
Position Title: Diocesan Director
Reports to: The Bishop of Rockhampton
Primary Objectives and Accountabilities
The principal accountability of the Diocesan Director is to actively and effectively lead CentacareCQ into the future.
The primary objectives of the Diocese Director are to:
- Work with the CentacareCQ Council to achieve outcomes that contribute to the betterment of CentacareCQ;
- Promote and live the CentacareCQ Vision, Mission and Values;
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to CentacareCQ;
- Represent CentacareCQ and champion the organisation’s cause in all realms of society;
- Advocate for CentacareCQ within all levels of government and business; and
- Maintain a strategy that ensures that CentacareCQ is consistently “ahead of the Game” in relation to planning, funding, operational efficiency, provision of services, technology and quality of people.
Success will be measured by achievement of agreed objectives relating to:
- The CentacareCQ Vision, Mission and Values;
- Policy, planning and communication;
- Financial and resource management and control;
- Business development and day-to-day operation;
- Staff leadership and development;
- Governance and legal aspects;
- Internal and external relationships;
A detailed position description will be provided at a later stage in this project
The Diocesan Director reports directly to the Bishop of the Diocese of Rockhampton.
The Diocesan Director has a functional reporting relationship with the CentacareCQ Council on matters of policy and operations and with the Diocesan Finance Council in financial management matters.
Significant peer relationships exist with individuals with key sectoral influence, Directors of other Diocesan agencies, Directors of Centacare in other Dioceses, and senior staff in other social services agencies, peaks etc.
The Diocesan Director is also required to interact with numerous external individuals and bodies including but not limited to:
- Representatives from all levels of government;
- Industry groups, associations, etc.;
- Representatives from the media;
- Competitors of CentacareCQ; and
- Other individuals and institutions involved with, or in any way influential to CentacareCQ.
The Director has two direct reports: a Deputy Director; and a Planning & Development Manager. Total staff numbers vary around 200 people, plus volunteers. (An organisation chart will be provided later in this process.)
Other Organisational Information
- In 2013 CentacareCQ developed their ‘Vision for 2020’ which guided their subsequent 2014 to 2017 strategic plan. The publication of the strategic plan for 2017 to 2012 is imminent.
- Approximately 85% of their $18m revenue comes from Commonwealth and State government grants.
- CentacareCQ is highly regarded and valued. The Bishop is not seeking any dramatic change in the vision or strategic direction of CentacareCQ, but rather a continuity of service and smooth transition of leadership.
- CentacareCQ works in partnership with a range of other service providers (including Church providers) so a priority is to learn and understand the nature and value of these partnerships.
Reason for Vacancy
The retirement of the long term and very highly regarded Dr Ricki Jeffery.
The commencement date is negotiable, however ideally this would occur by December 2017 to allow an appropriate handover to assist in the transition of leadership.
Location and Travel
This position is located in CentacareCQ’s Administration Office, 16 Bolsover Street, Rockhampton. However, given the nature of the role, considerable time will be spent travelling within the Diocese and therefore away from this Office.
Conditions of Employment
- The remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant, but will be in alignment with the QLD Bishops’ Provincial Finance Council Remuneration Pay Scales
- 4 weeks of annual leave
- Appointment: a five year contract with annual review.
- As a full time executive position, this position involves extended hours, evening meetings, with overnight absences and considerable travel.
- The Diocese has a relocation policy to assist, if required
- A Blue Card or eligibility for suitability of a ‘Positive Notice Blue Card for Child Related Employment’ issued by the Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian. Please visit bluecard.qld.gov.au to obtain further information on this requirement.
- Satisfactory National Police Certificate
The Bishop of Rockhampton invites expressions of interest from people who align with the following criteria:
- A personal commitment to the Catholic faith and a capacity to work enthusiastically within the ethos, philosophy and the structure of the Diocese
- Senior leadership experience in a sizable organization
- A genuine interest and deep knowledge of community services to enhance the wellbeing of individuals and families
- Highly developed interpersonal, presentation and relational skills combined with the desire and capacity to actively engage with the wider community
- Ability to adapt, learn & grow in a complex and everchanging environment
- A track record of ongoing personal and professional learning
Are you Interested in this Opportunity?
If you are interested in this role, then simply complete the ‘Express Your Interest’ panel on this page; or email us at email@example.com stating your interest and nominating ref number TS1352. Whichever you choose, please provide a brief resume and contact telephone number.
At this stage we do NOT ask for you to labour over selection criteria or any application document – just complete the panel on this page or send a one-line email to Trak Search to indicate your interest in ‘CentacareCQ Director TS1352’ also providing your brief resume and contact telephone number.
Any questions can be directed to either (a) our Director John Chesher by telephone (0417 068 220) or (b) email our office via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The timeline and details for this project are outlined below. All emails and applications are acknowledged within 48 hours.
The Selection Process
Key dates are as follows:
|Date of project launch/advertising||Fri 30 Jun/Sat 1st July|
|Trak Search discussions commence||From Mon 10th July|
|Latest anticipated date for applications||Wednesday 19th July|
|Initial reference checks by Trak Search||From week commencing Mon 24th July|
|Review meeting & short listing||Week commencing Mon 7th August|
|Anticipated date for client interviews||Week of Monday 14th or 21st August|
|Final references; academic documents obtained||Following client interviews|
|Follow up meeting/discussion||Likely within 7 days of client interviews|
Trak Search has been instructed to provide a process that is welcoming for people interested in this role. Significant aspects include:
- Throughout the process, Trak Search is available for confidential discussions and to provide information to allow you to explore this opportunity and determine your interest in the role.
- A range of additional information will be provided to you as we progress through this process.
- At the outset you will not be required to: complete an application form; a lengthy, comprehensive document to address the selection criteria; or provide any referee details. However, you will be invited to supply us with additional information (verbally and in writing) as you progress through the process.
- A late application could be accepted, providing it does not adversely impact other applications or the schedule. Please be aware however that any application received after close of business on the date noted above is more likely to be returned to you.
- At the appropriate time (refer above) we will seek written consent to speak with referees – listing referees on your resume does not signify consent.
- We expect to contact one work-related referee and a faith-related referee prior to short listing, with additional references completed later in the process. You should always expect that prior to reaching the final stage of the project, we will ask to speak with at least one person who has: directly managed you; recently; and for a significant time period.
- All information provided to Trak Search will be made available prior to short listing, in confidence, to the Bishop or his nominee unless you instruct Trak Search otherwise.
You are also encouraged to view our Collection Statement which provides details on the manner in which we collect and use information obtained from you during your engagement with Trak Search.