We invite you to view this short video on Xavier Catholic College
Why Should You Consider this Opportunity?
- Leading a P-12 school is a professional challenge and seen by many as a career pinnacle that few have the opportunity to experience.
- Xavier Catholic College is a master planned educational campus which commenced in 2003. It is in a highly desirable location in a beautiful part of Queensland, with ample facilities and space. It is also well-resourced and financially secure.
- It is known for having a professional, committed & welcoming staff.
- The aim of the college is to assist in the formation of the students to become young men and women of competence, conscience, and compassion with an attitude of excellence and service.
- The community is united in the view that with the existing people, resources and facilities, combined with a clear and agreed vision, it needs to continue to build on the strong Jesuit Charism and to focus on providing excellent learning and teaching to its students. The College is poised for the next stage of its rich beginnings.
- The new leader has an exciting opportunity to shape the future of the leadership team in developing and making real the school’s vision and mission.
- Brisbane Catholic Education (BCE) is a system of 137 schools and covers a geographical area that includes much of south-east Queensland including metropolitan Brisbane, the Gold and Sunshine coasts. The size of BCE provides significant professional and lifestyle opportunities.
- As a major regional centre and with a population of over 60,000, Hervey Bay has often been called the ‘jewel in Queensland’s crown’. It has wonderfully affordable housing and a subtropical climate with temperatures ranging from 14 to 23 degrees in winter and 22 to 29 degrees in summer.
An Introduction to Brisbane Catholic Education
This ministry of Brisbane Catholic Education (BCE) encompasses 137 schools (Primary, Secondary colleges and P-12 colleges) including three Ecumenical schools/colleges. The Archdiocese of Brisbane extends from Childers in the north, south to the New South Wales border, west to Gatton and north west to Gayndah and the South Burnett region.
Brisbane Catholic Education is committed to high quality learning and teaching for more than 70,000 young people enrolled in our schools and colleges from Prep to Year 12.
Xavier Catholic College, Hervey Bay
Xavier Catholic College is a P-12 coeducational College owned and administered by Brisbane Catholic Education. As a Jesuit Companion School, the College is a member of the Australian Jesuit Schools Network and the worldwide Network of over 2000 Jesuit Universities and Colleges.
The site is situated within the Catholic Parish of Hervey Bay City. The College opened in 2003 with ninety Year 8 students, and in 2007 the College expanded to include Prep – Year 3. Xavier kindergarten opened in 2013 and is operated by Centacare.
In 2015 the enrolment was 1197 with students accommodated in all years from Prep to Year 12. The College Master Plan caps growth to 3 streams of Prep-6 and 5 streams of Year 7- 12.
Additional information can be viewed on the Xavier Catholic College website located at: www.xavier.qld.edu.au/
Position Title: Principal
Reports to: The Principal is responsible to the Executive Director through the Area Supervisor and the Director School Services.
Purpose of the Position
The Principal is the religious and educational leader of a Catholic school within the Archdiocese of Brisbane.
Key Result Areas
In partnership with colleagues and through the support of the Archdiocese of Brisbane the Principal in a Catholic school is required to:
- Provide Religious Leadership through personal example, by fostering the religious life of the school and by providing a sound religious education program.
- Provide Educative Leadership by developing and implementing high quality learning and teaching programs and by monitoring outcomes.
Staff and Community Leadership
- Provide Staff and Community Leadership by:
- Fostering appropriate relations with staff, students, parents, the parish, the Catholic education community and the wider community.
- Selecting, deploying, supporting and developing staff through regular monitoring, performance reviews, professional learning and enacting effective employee relations.
- Provide Strategic Leadership by developing the vision, mission and strategic goals of the school, in alignment with the Strategic Renewal Framework.
- Provide Organisational Leadership by developing and maintaining processes to manage physical and financial resources in order to deliver the educative programs of the school.
Statement of Responsibility
The leadership and direction provided by the Principal will be consistent with the Archdiocesan Vision Statement for Catholic Education; Catholic teachings, principles and values; the Strategic Renewal Framework; the Leadership Framework; Brisbane Catholic Education policies and practices; and Archdiocesan policies and directives.
The Principal provides effective leadership within the school community to ensure that students receive quality education in accordance with Catholic faith and Christian principles. This is achieved by planning, directing and regularly evaluating curriculum development, teaching programs, and co-curricular activities and by reviewing the efficacy of processes to support the core Religious and Educative dimensions.
Reporting and Other Relationships
The Principal is responsible to the Executive Director through the Area Supervisor and the Director School Services. Significant relationships also exist with the Leadership Team and senior staff of the Brisbane Catholic Education Office.
In addition to the Principal, the leadership structure of the College includes: two Heads of School responsible for the school educational precincts; three Assistant Principals; two Assistant Principals RE.
Reason for Vacancy and Commencement Date
The Foundation Principal, Mr Kerry Swann, retires at the end of this year. It is expected the new principal will be able to start for the commencement of the 2017 school year.
Initial Areas of Priority
- Taking the time to learn and understand the history and successes of Xavier Catholic College and the Ignatian spirituality which underpins all aspects of school life.
- With this change of leadership, the opportunity exists for the new principal to lead a dynamic team to continue and develop further the school Mission, Vision and strategic direction together with Brisbane Catholic Education strategic directions.
- Marketing and ensuring growth in enrolments within the competitive educational setting of Hervey Bay by providing pathways and care to students enrolled at the college
- With the formation of a new leadership team for 2017, it is anticipated that the new Principal will be available to assist in the appointment of any new team members as required. A key priority will therefore be the formation of this new team as it leads the college into the future.
Xavier Catholic College is located at 1 Wide Bay Dr, Hervey Bay, QLD
Conditions of Employment
- In accordance with the Brisbane Catholic Education Principals’ Agreement (2013), the Principals Salary Scale (as at July 2014) has Xavier Catholic College as Level 8, with the five steps within this level starting at $154,376 and rising to $168,886. The Principal is also entitled to an annual allowance of $6,168 because it is a P-12 College.
- Superannuation is paid in addition to the salary values shown above.
- Salary packaging is available
- A school motor vehicle is available for the Principal’s use.
- The initial contract term is 4 years with options of an additional two 4-year terms subject to an appraisal process.
- Principals are entitled to Renewal leave which is 5 days per year at $2,000 per year
- Relocation assistance is available and the policy guidelines will be provided as we step through the process.
- The appointment will be subject to satisfactory employment screening for child related employment in accordance with the law.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
The following eligibility criteria determine whether or not an applicant is able to be considered for the position of Principal for this P-12 school:
- A committed, practising Catholic
- Experience as a substantive Principal or P-12 Head in a Catholic school
- Be registered as a teacher or eligible for registration in Queensland
- Hold qualifications in Religion – completed 8 semester units, or their equivalent, of recognised tertiary study in Religion, with a balance of Theology, Scripture and Christian Leadership.
- Have ten years successful teaching experience
- Administrative and leadership experience or other relevant experience
Eligible applicants are then considered based upon their capacity to provide Leadership in the five dimensions outlined above in the section titled ‘Key Result Areas’. Significant additional detail for these five dimensions is provided in the BCE Principal Role Description which will be provided later in the process.
Are You Interested in this Opportunity?
If you are interested in this role, there are two options for you to proceed:
- If interested, but have questions requiring a response before deciding whether to progress, then either (a) telephone our Director John Chesher (0417 068 220) or (b) email our office via email@example.com or from this page of our website with your questions.
- If and when you have enough information to start this process, then simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or from this page of our website stating your interest and nominating the role and ref number TS1342; providing a brief resume and contact telephone number.
At this stage we do NOT ask for you to labour over selection criteria or provide an application document – just a one-line email to Trak Search to indicate your interest in ‘Xavier Catholic College TS1342’ and providing your resume and contact telephone number. The timeline and details for this project are outlined below. All emails and applications are acknowledged within 48 hours.
The Selection Process
Brisbane Catholic Education has appointed Trak Search to assist in this selection process.
Key dates are as follows:
|Date of advertising||Fri 29th/Sat 30th July|
|Trak Search discussions commence||From Monday 8th Aug|
|Latest anticipated date for applications||Wed 17th Aug|
|Initial reference checking by Trak Search||From week of Monday 22nd Aug|
|BCE review meeting & short listing||Week of Monday 5th Sept|
|Anticipated date for client interviews||Week of Monday 12th Sept|
Trak Search has been instructed to provide a process that is welcoming for people interested in this role. Significant aspects include:
- Throughout the process, Trak Search is available for confidential discussions and to provide information to allow you to explore this opportunity and determine your interest in the role.
- A range of additional information will be provided to you as we progress through this process.
- At the outset you will not be required to: complete an application form; provide a lengthy, comprehensive document to address the selection criteria; or any referee details. However, you will be invited to supply us with additional information (verbally and in writing) as you progress through the process.
- A late application could be accepted, providing it does not adversely impact other applications or the schedule. Please be aware however that any application received after close of business on the date noted above is more likely to be returned to you.
- At the appropriate time (refer above) we will seek written consent to speak with referees – listing referees on your resume does not signify consent.
- We expect to contact one work related referee prior to short listing, with additional references (including with a Priest referee) completed later in the process. You should always expect that prior to reaching the final stage of the project, we will ask to speak with at least one person who has: directly managed you; recently; and for a significant time period.
- All information provided to Trak Search will be made available prior to short listing, in confidence, to BCE unless you instruct Trak Search otherwise.
You are also encouraged to view our Collection Statement which provides details on the manner in which we collect and use information obtained from you during your engagement with Trak Search.